a couple sundays back, this kiddo turned ten. after a full morning in church, we birthday-caked and sang to our boy and he and L ate mac and cheese al fresco, per his request.
those two are ever each other’s best company. it’s good for a mama’s heart to raise siblings twined so closely that when they bicker and battle the Worst Punishment Ever is to declare they’ve (temporarily) lost the privilege of playing together.
my favorite tidbits of M at age ten:
10. he hugs me bigger than anyone else on the planet
9. his little-ness next to his peers rarely seems to occur to him
8. despite rheumatic feverish/post-strep issues, he pretty much troops along with that easy smile
7. he owns the word responsible
6. how he trots ahead to open every door for the rest of us
5. all the evenings, fresh from showers, where he rounds up the natives and instigates family devotions
4. how he breathes and thinks with a ninety degree bent toward justice
3. he forgives with a lightness that quiets me
2. that one night at camp, when he climbed the bunk and prayed with a boy who was missing home
1. he walks a little more like Jesus all the time
happy it-was-your-birthday, dear M. i’m flat-out crazy about you.